Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 7

A Picture of your most treasured item

I never had the privilege of knowing my Grandpa Rogers. He passed away when my dad was only ten years old. I have grown up hearing stories about him and I look up to him so much. He was a pilot and a Lieutenant Colonel for the U.S Airforce, he was a trained astronaut and was part of the Dyna-Soar program (look it up). I know that he loved his family, and loved his country... But another thing I know about him is that he loved to play the violin.

When my dad and his siblings were dividing his dad's things, somehow my family got the honor to get his Violin. When I was in elementary school I could NOT wait until I hit 4th grade so I could FINALLY get to go to orchestra and learn to play the violin. My parents are incredible and even though this beautiful antique instrument should probably be in a shadow box or some kind of protective case they let a little 4th grade girl lug it to school (even though I definitely was not ready for a full size violin yet I didn't want to play on anything else). I played this all through high school but then decided that to keep it safe, I should leave it at home when I left for college. One of the things I look forward to the most when I go home is to pull out my/my grandpa's violin and play it for hours. I love having something that I know meant a lot to my grandpa.

I love this old violin.





3 comments:

Gwen said...

'twas battered and scarred..... I remember taking it to Milano music when Jonathan started to play in the 4th grade and they called it a "closet fiddle" meaning it had been sitting idle for many years. After him, Megan played it and took it to Washington DC and Arlington Cemetery...but you have played it and loved playing this old violin the most!! It truly is a treasure, I'm so touched you have blogged about it.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, that's amazing!! that violin is gorgeous.

The Rogers said...

This is the perfect most treasured item! I love to hear you play!!! You are very talented! How neat to have something passed down for generations! :)